Thanks to the support of our members, our work continues. It might look a little different these days, but we are working diligently to keep trails and preserves maintained and advance new conservation projects that are in the works.
LELT trails and preserves have seen a large influx of visitors the past few months. If you are able to, we encourage you to make a donation to support the upkeep of the special places & trails we all love.
We ask all trail users & preserve visitors to adhere to the following guidelines when visiting LELT preserves and trails:
- Keep it low & local. If you want to get outside, your first choice should be to stay close to home.
- Do not use the trails if you have symptoms, have traveled recently, or have been exposed to a known or suspected case of COVID-19.
- If the parking lot is full, please do not park on the road. Have a plan B and C. Consider waiting or seeking another place to be outdoors. Visit Maine Trail Finder or click here for a full list of LELT preserves open to you.
- Stay within your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to turn around. Outdoor adventures need to be safe. Accidents on the trail and in the woods create unnecessary strain on our first-responders.
- Keep dogs on the leash at all preserves. This will prevent inadvertent close contact with others.
- Stay six feet away from other people. Practice it and know what it looks like. Keep it as you walk or hike. Pause and step off trails to allow others to pass.
- Be prepared. Always have adequate water, snacks, layers, and a first aid kit.
- Leave No Trace. Carry in, carry out. There is no trash service at any LELT preserves.
Pleasant Mountain trails are open effective 5/22/2020. Please follow all posted guidelines including respecting full parking lots.
Thank you for choosing to recreate responsibly and doing your part to keep yourself and others safe and healthy.
Hacker’s Hill Preserve
The Hacker’s Hill preserve gate is open as usual for the season. The gate is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 8am to sunset. It is closed Tuesday, Thursday and inclement weather days.
The bathroom at the hill remains closed to protect the health and safety of visitors and our volunteer caretaker. Thank you for understanding. Use of the preserve will be monitored and appropriate measures will be taken in the case of any issues.
We will restart in-person, outdoor events in July. Our “First Monday” Pondicherry Park walks will happen every other week for the remainder of the summer with physical distancing measures and participation limits in place.
Our office is currently closed to the public. Staff are working remotely and outdoors. The best way to reach LELT staff is via email. Staff will be back in the office on a rotating basis beginning June 1.
- Pleasant Mountain Trails Re-open 5/22/2020
- Pleasant Mountain Trails Temporarily Closed 04/02/2020
- Social Distancing on the Trails 03/20/2020
- Update Regarding COVID-19 03/18/2020
- Statement on COVID-19 Outbreak 03/13/2020
- When in doubt, stay in your backyard or neighborhood! Check out these activities to keep kids entertained.
- Steps for Mainers to Follow Before Heading Outdoors
- Guidance from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
- Maine Trail Finder COVID-19 Guidelines