20th Annual Loon Echo Trek
September 19th, 2020
** REGISTRATION COMING SOON**
Start: Anytime between 8 and 10 am. Register at Shawnee Peak Base Lodge, Shuttles will be provided to take you to the Southwest Ridge trailhead.
Food & Beer: From 11am – 3pm at Shawnee Peak Base Lodge.
Where: Pleasant Mountain, Denmark and Bridgton, ME
What: Hike or Run from Denmark to Bridgton over Pleasant Mountain, Southern Maine’s tallest mountain! A 10k (6 mile) course starts with a shuttle bus ride from Shawnee Peak Ski Area to the trailhead for the Southwest Ridge Trail in Denmark. The route crosses over the entire ridge of Pleasant Mountain, passing three rest stops and finishes at the base of Shawnee Peak Ski Area. Before you leave, Food, Allagash Beer, and a t-shirt are all included as part of your entry fee! All proceeds from the Trek support our conservation work in the Lake Region.
Hike – It’s a start when you want, go at your own pace kinda thing. Family friendly – cheering volunteers, snacks, views, beautiful forests, tacos and BEER awaits you!
Time Trial Trail Race – 10k mountain run along the same route. There will be no mass start – show up at Shawnee Peak anytime between 8 and 10 am and grab a shuttle ride to the trailhead in Denmark. Runners will be timed, with prizes awarded to the top male and female runners in each category! Categories are based on age: 0-39, 40-60, and 60+. Please note, Food will be served starting at 11am.
- $50 – Adult Hike
- $35 – Youth Hike
- $50 – Time Trial Trail Race
- Kids 5 and Under are FREE
- Day of Registration: $65 / Adult $50 /Youth
The Route – Click here for a Route Map
Trekkers start by hiking (or running!) up the Southwest Ridge Trail. Within the first mile you’ll start to get in those views as you climb through a rare scrub oak forest. At the Southwest Summit you’ll have a chance to fuel up with snacks at the first rest stop! Hang out on the ledges and take in incredible views to the south that stretch all the way to Sebago Lake and Portland.
As you make your way across the ridge towards the Main Summit, you’ll be traveling a beautiful stretch of singletrack that is a true hidden gem on the mountain.
After a short climb out of a saddle you’ll reach the Main Summit where you’ll have a chance for more snacks at the second rest stop and even more views! Enjoy incredible views of the southern peaks of the White Mountains from the rocky outcrops!
After the Main Summit you’ll continue to traverse the ridgeline on your way to Bald Peak. The trail pops in and out of hemlock forests and rocky ledge, offering more great views to the east!
Don’t forget to take a break at the summit of Bald Peak for even MORE views. This part of the mountain is home to a unique red pine woodland. Woodlands have fewer trees than forests, which is why the peak is “bald.”
After Bald Peak you’ll hook a left on the North Ridge Trail. Don’t forget to make a small detour to Janine’s Overlook and marvel at how far you’ve come! Nestled among the pines at the overlook is a small day shelter that offers views to the south, all the way back to the Southwest Summit. You’ll be able to see exactly how far you’ve come!
The North Ridge Trail will lead you to the top of Shawnee Peak Ski Area. Grab another snack at the third and final rest stop before the trek down the ski trails to the base lodge. Grab some food, a beer (or two) and don’t forget to sign out before you leave!
Trekkers can choose to raise money for Loon Echo Land Trust to support their Trek across Pleasant Mountain. All money raised will support Loon Echo Land Trust. ** Please note, fundraising is encouraged, but not required for participation**
Trekkers who raise $250 will receive a free day-pass to Shawnee Peak Ski Area. Top fundraisers will be eligible for other great prizes including a seasons pass to Shawnee Peak Ski Area!
Trekkers can create a fundraising page when they register for the Trek, or download the 2020 Trek Pledge Form to get started.
Want to be involved but that whole mountain climbing thing doesn’t sound fun? Sign up to Volunteer at the Trek! You’ll be treated to a meal and beer.
Need a place to stay before or after the Trek?! Pleasant Mountain Camping Area is offering $5 off a night of camping on the shores of Moose Pond (right across from the ledges trail head) for all Trek participants! Send us a an email at email@example.com after you register for the discount code.
- When should I arrive? Show up at Shawnee Peak any time between 8-10 am to sign in and grab a shuttle to the trailhead in Denmark. If you want to take your time consider showing up on the early side so you have more time to enjoy food & drinks. Food & drinks will be served from 11am – 3pm.
- Are pets allowed? While pets are allowed on our trails, owners are requested to leave their pets at home for this event.
- Do you feed us? You betcha! Trekkers are greeted by a taco bar & Allagash beer at the end of the Trek! Snacks are provided to trekkers along their journey. All of this is included in the entry fee.
- Can I invite friends and family to come cheer me on? Please do!! You can even purchase additional meal tickets so they can enjoy food and two Allagash beers with you to celebrate how awesome you are. $15/meal ticket for family and friends.
- What kind of route support is there? Route maps will be posted and made available at check-in. Three stations with snacks will greet hikers and runners along the trail. Participants are encouraged to bring enough water with them for the Trek but emergency supplies will be available.
- Is there day-of registration available? Yes! $65/adult, $50/youth
2019 Run Results
The Loon Echo Trek has been the largest annual fundraiser for Loon Echo Land Trust since 2001. For the first 17 years, the Trek was a cycling & hiking event. In 2018, the Trek was changed to focus on hiking and running on our beloved Pleasant Mountain Preserve.